Saturday, September 27, 2014

Connecting Squares Using Double Crochet



Connecting Squares Using Double Crochet

So something I like to do when I'm bored (and yes, I do have time to be bored SOMETIMES!), is to play with different stitches and see if I can use them to crochet squares together. But one of my favorite approaches is using the double crochet stitch. 

In this tutorial I'm going to show you how I use a double crochet to make a solid stripe of color between two crochet squares. There are two approaches to using this stitch: 1. crochet all squares together in rows length-wise and then width-wise or 2. crochet around each square, connecting the adjacent squares as you go. 

For this tutorial I'm going to walk you through crocheting  all squares together in rows length-wise and then width-wise.



Ok, here are our two squares. (The pattern for these squares can be found HERE)

To start, make sure both square are face up, and then align the two sides you'd like to crochet together. For this tutorial, the bottom square that you start with is Square A, the top square that you're connecting to, is Square B.



There are two approaches to adding your first double crochet, depending on your skill level:
1. Slip Stitch in the corner of Square A, chain 2, YO (yarn over), insert hook in corner, YO, pull loop through corner, YO, pull through 2 loops on hook, YO, pull through last two looks on hook.

2. Hold your tail in place against the back on Square A so it doesn't slip free. YO (yarn over), insert hook in corner of Square A, YO, pull loop through corner, YO, pull through 2 loops on hook, YO, pull through last two looks on hook.


 Next step, take your hook out of the loop, insert your hook into the corner of Square B - see picture - put the loop back on your hook and pull your loop through the corner of Square B.


Next, YO, insert hook in Square A corner, crochet a double crochet stitch.


Just like we did before, take your hook out of the loop, insert your hook into the next stitch of Square B - see picture - put the loop back on your hook and pull your loop through the stitch of Square B.



Pretty right?


Ok, do it a bunch more times, until you get to the end.





I love how this ends up looking!

When you get to the end you would then add 3 double crochet foundation stitches to make the intersection of the squares wide enough for the width-wise row to match. What's a foundation stitch? That's where you make a stitch without a chain row.

Double crochet foundation stitch:
YO, insert hook in bottom side loop of last stitch, YO, pull up loop, YO pull through one loop on hook, YO, pull through 2 loops, YO, pull through 2 loops.

Click HERE for a quick You Tube video.

After you make your 3 double crochet foundation stitches you can move on to your next set of squares. After you've crocheted your whole blanket together in length-wise strips, you'd then turn the hold thing sideways and starting crocheting width-wise. When you get to the intersections you can crochet over each one, weave them one over, the next under, etc, or crochet all of them under.

I know this isn't the best quality (phone picture, ugg!), but here's a picture of a blanket I made for a friend and then mailed to her before taking a proper picture! lol.


I think the stripes made by the double crochet connecting stitch add that certain something to the overall look. Any wider and it wouldn't look as nice. I also matched the stripes to one of the square colors which I think softened the brighter colors.

If you liked my tutorial, let me know by liking my Facebook page! I post a fun picture and story/poem/humor each weekday.

Also, check out my free and other patterns on Ravelry and for sale items on Etsy.

Thanks!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...