Tuesday, April 30, 2013


April is Flowers - right?

I'm going to warn you now, the post soon to follow has nothing to do with flowers. Why? Because it's April- it's raining. We'll discuss flowers next month.

For the past 4 weeks I have been teaching a Introduction to Crochet class to 2nd-4th graders. For those of you who have been tracking my Facebook page I've posted several comments related to left handed crocheting...which ended up being not necessary at all, but we'll get to that.

There are 5 kids in my class - all adorable - all girls. I think the boys weren't interested in spending quality time with the girls ('cause doesn't EVERYONE like crochet?). Anyway....so there are 5 kids in my class. On the second day of class the youngest tells me that she is left handed - which I admit stumped me. I had no idea how to crochet left handed. 

--> Side Bar: My brother, who is left handed, tells me that most lefties just learn to perform such skills right handed since instruction, pictures and supplies are designed for righties. Since there are tons and tons of YouTube videos on left handed crochet I imagine that a notable fraction do wish to learn to crochet using their left hand, but I thought his comment was interesting and was wondering if any of my lefty readers might chime in??? (He also bowls and does needlepoint right handed)

In any case, the whole thing was moot 2 classes later after I learned to crochet left handed and had begun instructing this student to crochet left  handed when her mother happened to mention that she in fact WAS RIGHT HANDED. Sigh. 

But really, shouldn't we all know how to crochet left handed? You never know when an accident will leave your right hand out of action and what are you going to do, sit around and NOT crochet? 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...