Friday, May 6, 2011

Tipping the Cup Part II




A Pencil Cup for Mom

So yesterday we left off with the above item being half completed, but because you mean so much to me, I muscled down and got this awesome craft project completed. 

When we finished yesterday we were about here:





Continue to crochet additional rows until you are about 3/4 the way up. (Oh and just in case anyone is wondering, I am not crocheting with the cup in place, I'm crocheting and then testing it by putting it on the cup).

I crocheted about 8 or so additional rows to reach this level:




At this point you are ready to add your pattern so you need to brain storm. Count the number of stitches you have to work with and count out different patterns till you find one that's going to work with a round piece. For me it was "sc, sc, dc, dc, dc." Using this pattern I went all the way around with no cross over in the pattern. 




It's important to count it out because you don't want to go all the way around just to find out that you'll end up with two sets of single crochet stitches next to each other! 

At this point, when you're making your slip stitch to end the row you want to switch to your alternative color. You'll be making two rows in your new color and pulling up the orange will be difficult so I would cut it (about 4-6 inches of tail is perfect). 

With the new color I crocheted single crochet stitches on top of the double crochets from the previous row and double crochet stitches on top of the single crochets.


For the next row you will repeat the same pattern - essentially 'doubling up' on the first row of gray. This will make the wavy pattern more noticeable.


Following this you'll use the slip stitch to join the orange back in and crochet a framing row. This row fills in the waves of the gray giving you a sold line all the way around. To do this I will crochet double crochet stitches on top of the single crochets and single crochet stitches on top of the double crochets.




Following this simply crochet around and around until you're piece is long enough to extend past the top of your pencil cup insert by several inches.


Fasten off and sew in all your strings. (All of my strings were on the inside so I had the flip the piece inside out to sew them in. I then decided the inside looked better and used that instead.

 

My cup is about 5 inches in height and 2.5 inches wide. I think the orange and gray look classy, but use whatever combo you like. And enjoy your Mother's day!! 

(I'm off for the rest of the weekend as I am a mother. I'd love to hear your mother's day stories so please add comments below or on my Facebook page or Tweet me :)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...