Saturday, April 2, 2011

Make me a Napkin Ring!!!




Napkin Ring Flower Pattern


This is just a bit of fun I thought I'd throw your way. Mother's day is this weekend in the UK and in May for us US people. How about you make your mom some pretty napkin rings and then take her out for a picnic? Wouldn't that be nice?

For this pattern it's really up to you how big/small you make it. Remember that however big your base chain is, it will stretch to a larger size once you add all the single crochet stitches so make the base chain a little smaller than you think will fit. 








 Here's my base chain. I was shooting for a wrist sized circle. (For those social functions where I need cool and unusual jewelry - lol)


Next, slip stitch your current stitch to the first one you made. Don't worry if you twist the base chain, you're crocheting over it so no one will see. 


Once you have your ring made you'll be adding single crochet stitches to the ring until you can't add any more. Try to shoot for a multiple of 4, then add one more single crochet before slip stitching to the first single crochet. 


Here's me adding my first single crochet to the loop. See how I insert my hook inside the ring rather than in one of the chain stitches. 



Keep adding single crochet stitches in
groups of 4.

When you get to the end, slip stitch to connect the first single crochet to the last. Now you can begin the first leverl of petals. The formula for these is *sc, 2 sc, sc, slip stitch* This is what you'll do for each group of four stitches as shown below.


 After your connect your ring, chain 1 and add a single crochet to the same stitch that you slip stitched into. Then add 2 single crochet stitches to the next stitch. Add a single crochet to the next and a slip stitch to the fourth. Repeat around.
sc, 2 sc, sc, slip stitch


You can now see the 'petals' we are forming. After this row you can switch to a different color or go for a monochromatic look.

For the next row, join your next color in the first sc space of one of the petals.



See! I've pointed it out for you.


Here's me joining my new color. After you get one loop made, chain 2 more and add a double crochet stitch to the same stitch. 


Like this! :)











Similar to how we did our last set of petals, for this row you are going to add 1 Double crochet to the first stitch, 2 DCs to the next and 1 DC to the third.




Next, add a DC stitch to the ring like so:



Yarn over, insert your hook in the ring and pull up a loop.


Finish the DC: Yarn over, pull through 2 loops. Yarn over, pull through the last 2 loops. 

** Tip: To make the petals a bit rounder try adding a SC or a slip stitch to the ring rather than a DC







Repeat around to make all the petals, than slip stitch to the first single crochet stitch.



Here's my second petal.


Doesn't it look pretty??! Well, I like it - but I'm biased.

I would LOVE to see your color combinations - send me some pics to my Facebook page or send me a Tweet. Thanks again for tuning in!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...