Thursday, March 3, 2011

The X Stitch




The X Stitch
(multiple of 2, plus 3)

The X stitch is a fun and visually appealing stitch. It's very three dimensional so, of course it's going to look flat in all my pictures. To combat this I will be using two colors to show the front cross and back cross stitches and also I have this great example:

Hopefully you can see the crosses I've added to this photo. (If not, that stinks!) Ok, so what are you looking at. The blue is the front part of the cross and slants from top right to top left. The red is the back portion of the cross and it runs from the top left to the bottom right.  
*Trust met his looks really great in 3-D

The formula for the X stitch is the first time we'll be diverting off the multple, chain stitch combo. This is because to properly block the edges we need to add a double crochet (dc) at the end of each row. So, 2 chains will be the turning chain, the third is for the last double crochet of the row.


 For this example I chained 11 loops, that's 4 sets of 2 plus 3. For your first row you are going to add a double crochet, but this is your first X so you will not add the dc to the 3 chain from the hook - add your first double crochet to the FOURTH chain from the hook - see picture.

 You've now completed your first front cross. Notice that we have a space where the double crochet usually goes. This is chain space you'll be using for the back cross. As this will be our first soujourn into crocheting on the backside I encourage you to practice this Alot. It took me quite a few tries to get it write and many of the more complicated patterns will.


See the chain I'm pointing at with my spare hook? That's your goal. You need to go behind your piece, insert your hook in the space between your first DC and the turning chain and then insert your hook in that chain from front to back. - I know, it sounds impossible, I thought it was too. You Can Do It, I have total faith in you.







Insert your hook exactly like my spare hook is pointed. 




Now, rotate and insert your hook in the chain stitch between your double crochet and the turning chain. You will need to hold the chain with your fingers as your manipulating your hook in there. 
 

Pull a loop of yarn through the stitch and to the back of your piece. Yarn over and pull through 2 loops, yarn over and pull through last 2 loops.









Repeat across, making 4 crosses. End with a double crochet in the last stitch, chain 2 and turn.


Here's what it looks like without the second color:


See the crosses?


The second row is actually much much easier than the first. Why? Because the second row is typically looser than your base chain and so inserting your hook is easier and now you have something to hold on to when your trying to get your hook in the correct spot. So in the above picture I've already added my first double crochet. Notice that I skipped the first double crochet stitch and added a double crochet to the second.


Next yarn over, insert your hook in the space between the double crochet and turning chain from behind and rotate to insert your hook in the double crochet stitch from front to back. Complete the double crochet (dc). Repeat across, dc in last stitch.


This pattern would look great as a scarf or use it as an accent row in a sweater to add detail. I used it to make this Sweater. I crocheted a row of double crochet then followed it with a row of X stitches - what do you think?

Let me see your works of art!! Post pictures to my Facebook site or find me on Twitter
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...