Front & Back Post Double Crochet
(Multiple of 1, plus 2 turning chain)
The front post double crochet is a quick way to add texture to a piece. This stitch can be used to make stripes on a sweater and is also used when creating a basket weave pattern.
In this example I'm going to be using front and back post double crochet to make two stripes.
1. Chain 6 in gray, pull up a purple loop and add 8 more chain stitches.
2. Add 1DC in 3rd Ch from hook. Add 5 more DC in purple, and 6 DC in gray
[Switching to gray: Do not complete the final purple DC, stop with 2 loops on the hook, pull up gray and pull through the final two loops. You are now using the gray, drop the purple behind your piece so that you can pick it back up when you switch back to purple]
3. Ch 2, turn.
4. In Gray: 2DC, 2DC Front Post Stitches, 2DC, In Purple: 2DC, 2DC Front Post Stitches, 2DC
[Front post: Insert hook from the front, in and around the back of the next DC stitch, YO and pull up a loop, work DC as normal.]
5. Chain 2, turn.
6. In Purple: 2DC, 2DC Back Post Stitches, 2DC, In Gray: 2DC, 2DC Back Post Stitches, 2DC
[Back post: Insert hook from the back, in and around the front of the next DC stitch, YO and pull up a loop, work DC as normal.]
[I flipped this so that you can see it from the back, as you can see, you insert from the back and around the front of the post]
[Example from the back in gray]
7. Chain 2, turn
8. In Gray: 2DC, 2DC Front Post Stitches, 2DC, In Purple: 2DC, 2DC Front Post Stitches, 2DC
Have fun and share on Facebook and Twitter
To check out my other patterns, try these links!