Sunday, March 20, 2011

Double Crochet Expanded V stitch (Fan Stitch)




Expanded V Stitch or Fan Stitch
(Multiple of 5 plus 3)

I had this plan in my head to make a bag using this stitch to show you how great it is, but ran out of time this weekend. By end of week I'll have one made - so keep tuned in! 

Right, so this stitch is very similar to the V stitch which I talked about earlier this week. The big difference between the two stitches being the number of Double Crochet Stitches which make up the V in each stitch.

The formula for the base chain is a multiple of 5 plus 3. In this case we're going to repeat the pattern 3 times so crochet a chain of 15 loops plus 3 or 18 total. 


Double crochet in third chain from the hook. This will act as your border stitch so that you have a solid edge. You'll notice I always add some form of border stitch. This is because I always want my piece to have solid corner and because I'm crazy. In many patterns you can skip the first double crochet and it won't hurt anything. And I encourage you to do so!!


Next, skip the next 2 stitches and in the next stitch add : 2 double crochet stitches, chain 1, 2 double crochet stitches. 

Got that?

There's no middle stitches between each 'V' so you can jump right into the next one. Skip the next Four stitches and to the next stitch add: 2 double crochet stitches, chain 1, 2 double crochet stitches. If you were reading a pattern book you might see this written as: *2dc, ch 1, 2dc, skip 4* Repeat 2 more times.


Your last stitch will be another double crochet to end the row. ( I love those bracketing stitches!!)

For the next row you work it pretty much the same way except your Vs will be crocheted in the chain 1 spaces of the previous row.


Here's me making my first V in the chain 1 space.


Here's the completed second row.

Now you're dying to see the bag I'm going to make aren't you?? Muahaha. Well I have a plan my pretties. 

Giveaway Alert!!

Make an item (Scarf, bag, hat, etc) and post a pick on my Facebook page identifying the stitch you used  and you'll be entered for a chance to win the bag. I'll also post a pic of your item on my blog and feature YOU for the day - won't that be cool (I think so, but I am too interested in other people.... lol)

Ok, so post to: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/CrochetByKarin/134647016599101

or click the Facebook link at the top right of the blog under 'Chat with Karin' and HAPPY HOOKING!!!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...