Sunday, January 23, 2011

Beach Hat for Kids

The above is a hat I recently completed. It's made using a combination of single crochet (sc), half double crochet (hdc) and double crochet (dc). You really have to have faith with this one as you don't really know how it'll turn out until you're done. To create this look I following the following basic pattern:
chain 2, 8 single crochet (sc) in the second loop from the hook, slip stitch together.
2sc in first stitch
2hdc in second stitch
2dc in third stitch
2hdc in fourth stitch
2sc in fifth stich
2hdc in sixth stitch
2dc in seventh stitch
2hdc in eighth stitch - slip stitch to first sc to complete the pattern.
Subsequant rounds needed to add stitches to keep the piece flat - in this case I added to the first of each new stitch type. For example for round 2:
2sc in first stitch, 1sc in next
2hdc in third stitch, 1 hdc in next
etc all the way around.
For the next round I doubled the first and followed with two singles - make sense? (if not let me know and I'll show pics)

I usually flip my piece when I'm done so my curling edge is on the inside, but in this case I liked that it curled out, I thought it looked more beachy and childlike, so I left it.

What do you think?? Comments are welcome!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...